Tuesday, July 10, 2012

D.I.Y : Tinted Lip Balm

Hi all! Today, I'm going to show you how to make your own tinted lip balm! I have trouble getting the colour of the tinted lip balms which I have been wanting and looks like there isn't such a colour available in Singapore:( The thing about creating your own tinted lip balm is that you can control how much do you want the colour to show up on your lips- be it sheer, semi-sheer, or something similar to NYX's lip lacquer.

Let's get started, shall we? *winks.



Materials needed:
1.       Lush cosmetics Ultrabalm
2.       Lipstick
3.       2 tiny spatulas
4.       A tiny clean container, preferably those from counter-brands GWP
5.       Tissue and Kitchen Towels



I chose Lush cosmetics' Ultrabalm as the base of my tinted lip balm as they aren't as sticky and have a smoother consistency as compared to using a clear lip balm. I have tried using a clear lip balm previously, it is super sticky at the end and cleaning up the tools used would be tedious. Ultrabalm is VEGAN, that means that we can actually eat it and it's animal friendly! Ultrabalm works wonders to my insect bites, I'm sure it will work well on the lips as well. The ingredients used in Ultrabalm was super nutritious for the skin- especially Candelilla wax (a vegan alternative to beeswax) helps the skin retain moisture!

Here are the steps: 



11. Scoop a portion of Ultrabalm using a spatula and place it into the tiny container.
2




2. Using another spatula cut a portion of your lipstick and place it on a flat plate. (I’m using a black lid for illustration purposes.) I'm using a plum-red lipstick with bits of glitter and shine. Gently slice the lipstick into smaller pieces and eventually into a smooth paste. This should be how the portions of both the lipstick and Ultrabalm looks like., by approximation. 

Tip: Try to use a lipstick that has a glossy shine in it. This is to give bit of shine to your lips without the trouble putting on another layer of lip shine. If happens that you're using a matte lip stick, do add a bit of lip gloss of the similar shade that you're using or clear lip butter. I would recommend Palmer's Lip butter as it's super delicious and lots of shine. A tiny bit of it will do the job!





3

33. Scoop the lipstick paste using the spatula and place it into the tiny container which already contained Ultrabalm.


1
44.  Mix both the lipstick paste and Ultrabalm together in one direction using the spatula for the lipstick. This would ensure that the lipstick paste would distribute evenly in the Ultrabalm, giving it a smooth texture. It would take approximately 10-20 minutes to mix them thoroughly and evenly. This would be how the product looks like after mixing for 15 minutes.


This is the amount of lip balm we have created with the above formulation. It is approximately 1/4 of the whole jar. I'm using a GWP sample jar from Clinque as usually counter brands GWP containers do have a better quality of plastic used and to make sure that the lip balm doesn't ruin the container. I'm sure you don't want to end up with a lip balm cum plastic combination!

15. Screw tight the container with the cap and place it somewhere that has a flat surface and away from the sunlight, e.g. table, for 3-4 hours. This would allow the lip balm to settle and ¼ hardened.

26. Repeat Step 4 and 5 three to four times or until the texture of the lip balm is smooth.

37. Allow the lip balm to settle and screw tight the container with the cap. Place it somewhere has a flat surface and away from the sunlight for 3-4 days.

48.  Ta Da! Your lip balm is done!~

These are the lip balms which I've been working for the past 4 days :D The one on the left has a slightly coral-peachy colour to it and the one on the right is kind of glossy sheer red. I'm using Aqualicious' Little Mermaid lipstick which I've got from my recent swap which I'm going to blog about it slightly later for the coral, peachy one. As for the sheer red lip balm, I'm using Essence cosmetics' Lip Pencil in Trendsetter, not sure if the lip pencil's available in the shelves of Watsons as the company mailed it to me recently.

I'm going to gift them to my lovely girls when I'm meeting them this Friday! (You know who you are~)  Can't wait!! >3

Till then~ xx

No comments:

Post a Comment